Saturday, August 27, 2011

Noisy House 50 decibel noise

Think this can't happen to you? My new neighbor's house has a heating system that requires two mechanical devices, a ventilation fan and some sort of exhaust pipe. A decibel meter I bought shows a reading of 50 decibels, sometimes noisier. Low cloud cover and rain can actually deflect the noise making it audible in my house. The City of White Rock, BC approved the design but it's made my life a living hell. Sometimes both fan and pipe are in operation and is clearly audible in my house with doors and windows closed. The northwest corner of his home is bowl-shaped so it acts like a speaker and projects the sound as far as 75 yards or more. The noise is now the rule and not the exception. Sometimes it goes for hours on end. It's interesting that the city has allowed it and even though it's a noise problem, they claim they can't do anything about it. The noise is in conflict with the very noise bylaws the city upholds but they still won't do anything. I've asked that a partial shroud or cover be put over it but they can't force the owner to do it. Took my laptop to my doctor to show him the video, his reaction was "they should put a cover over it". If you go to the White Rock City website and do a search for the word "noise", you get a link that takes you to the World Health Organization which stresses how noise can be unhealthy for you. The fan and pipe start and stop all day and night, 365 days a year. My back sundeck is at times unusable because the noise is so ...

No comments:

Post a Comment